Binny Joshi, Lead Software Developer | Wells Fargo Advisors | Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
What is Software Engineering?
Software engineering is defined as a process of analyzing user requirements and then designing, building, and testing software application which will satisfy those requirements.
Why Software Engineering?
- Many software became over budget. Output was an unreliable software which is expensive to maintain.
- Larger software was difficult and quite expensive to maintain.
- Lots of software not able to satisfy the growing requirements of the customer.
- Complexities of software projects increased whenever its hardware capability increased.
- Demand for new software increased faster compared with the ability to generate new software.
Relationship of Software Engineering with other Disciplines
Here, how software engineering related to other disciplines:
- System Engineering: Most software is a component of a much larger system. For example, the software in an Industry monitoring system or the flight software on an airplane. Software engineering methods should be applied to the study of this type of systems.
- Computer Science: Gives the scientific foundation for the software as electrical engineering mainly depends on physics.
- Management Science: Software engineering is labor-intensive work which demands both technical and managerial control. Therefore, it is widely used in management science.
- Economics: In this sector, software engineering helps you in resource estimation and cost control. Computing system must be developed, and data should be maintained regularly within a given budget.
Challenges of Software Engineering
Here are some critical challenges faced by software engineers:
- In safety-critical areas such as space, aviation, nuclear power plants, etc. the cost of software failure can be massive because lives are at risk.
- Increased market demands for fast turnaround time.
- Dealing with the increased complexity of software need for new applications.
- The diversity of software systems should be communicating with each other.
Characteristics of Good Software
Any software should be judged by what it offers and what are the methods which help you to use it. Every software must satisfy the following attributes:
Here are some important characteristics of good software developed by software professionals
This characteristic let us know about how well software works in the operations which can be measured on:
This is an essential aspect when the software is moved from one platform to another:
This aspect talks about how well software has the capabilities to adapt itself in the quickly changing environment:
It’s use in our Daily Life. However, software engineering is a vast field. It is not just limited to computer programming, but it’s much more than computer programming. It covers a wide range of professions from business to graphic designs or video game development.
Not just in a specific field, but every field of work, specific software is needed. Since the software is developed and embedded in the machines in order that it could meet with all intents and purposes of the users belonging to various professions, software engineering is of great application and assistance.
Not only the field of software engineering involves using some common computer languages, such as, C, C++, Java, python and Visual Basic in an appropriate manner that the intended results may be attained, but it also leads to apply the concepts in such a way that the development of the software may be made effectively and efficiently.
Software engineers or developers are the creative minds behind computers or programs. Some develop the application software for clients and companies analyzing the needs of the users. Some develop the system software used to run the devices and to control the networks.
Whatever be the nature of work, software engineering is one of highest-paid fields in this modern day and age. It’s an up-and-coming field, as it’s believed that it’s likely to grow much faster than the average compared to other professions.